Shaved Pork, Arugula, and Peaches
One of my favorite go-to meals during the hotter months is this quick salad. 5 minutes from start to finish. A simple, refreshing summertime meal made with roast pork, tree-ripened peaches, and arugula. This chilled salad is something my mother prepared for me as a child when she did not have time to cook.
THE SWISS ARMY KNIFE OF SUMMER SALADS
Let’s break the salad down into 4 parts: leftover roast, salad greens, vinaigrette, and fruit.
During the hot summer months, I do not like to cook things inside my house. My entire kitchen seems to move to my grill and outdoor burners. I find myself roasting fewer chickens and quickly grilling almost everything. For a salad starting point, try making this with any leftovers you might have like a steak, some cold chicken, or even a piece of grilled salmon. The beauty of this salad is that it works with everything.
Are you like me — Did you get too overzealous planting lettuces in your garden and now you are wondering how to use it all up. This salad works particularly well with arugula in this combination (the succulent pork, the sweet peaches, and the peppery arugula). Try making this salad with any green you have leftover — from romaine hearts to bibb lettuce to mache to even spinach. It all works great.
When you open your fridge, do you see a sea of salad dressing bottles? This is a great way to let your family decide the final outcome of dinner by choosing their own vinaigrette to flavor their dinner. I love the absolute simplicity of the mustard vinaigrette or even just simply oil and vinegar.
THE FRUIT BOWL
I don’t know about you but I always have refugees leftover from forays to farmers’ markets living in my fruit bowl. I get impulsive shopping and tend to come home with every piece of fruit I see in the markets. This salad will give an honorable end to that peck of peaches you picked up last weekend.
Give this salad a try this weekend and let me know what combination you came up with. If you want more great recipes and a free ebook with 12 timeless recipes than please go to my website Simple French Cooking.
Roast Pork, Arugula, and Peach Salad
A simple, refreshing summertime entree salad made with succulent chilled roast pork, tree-ripened peaches, and peppery arugula. This quick and easy salad is something my mother would prepare for me as a child when she did not have time to cook.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 0 minutes
- 1 clove garlic
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (Fallot is the best brand)
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
Finishing the dish
- 1/2 pound chilled, roasted pork sliced paper-thin
- 4 ounces arugula cleaned well
- 2 peaches cut into 8 wedges
- 2 ounces shaved Parmesan optional
Roasting the pork (optional)
- 1 pound pork loin, roasted and cold
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp piment d’ville (Espelette pepper)
- 1 tsp herbes de Provence
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- To make the mustard vinaigrette, smash the garlic clove with the back end of a wire whisk in a large bowl (preferably wood) until thoroughly mushed. Yes, that is a technical kitchen term. Remove the garlic and skin and save for another use. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add vinegar and mustard then slowly whisk in the oil. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- To finish the salad, fan the thinly sliced roast pork onto a cold serving dish. Toss the arugula in the vinaigrette and arrange over the center of the pork. Decoratively arrange the peach slices and strips of shaved Parmesan. Serve immediately.
- To roast the pork, liberally season your meat salt, piment d’ville, and herbes de Provence. Heat the oil in a skillet until smoking hot then sear the pork loin on both sides. Put the pork into a 350-degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until fully cooked. Let meat cool overnight before slicing.